I'm very fortunate to do what I do. To say that I love what I do would be an understatement especially when I photograph certain events such as the Association of Fundraising Professionals Award Lunch, which fell on Philanthropy Day.
7 Awards were given out during the lunch but the one awardee I wanted to see was former Gov. Bill Sheffield. Gov. Bill Sheffield was the governor of Alaska from 1982-1986 and has helped Alaska grow since he first moved here in 1953. This was the time when Anchorage started to boom and a lot of history was made since his arrival and I wanted to hear everything he had to say. I love Alaska and the rich history we have and this man is a wealth of information. You can tell he loves Alaska and what Alaska stands for. Listening to him speak and listening to people who know former Gov. Sheffield, you get a sense of how much he has given and helped.
This was a great event honoring those who go out and help and it was very humbling knowing that I can (and will) do more.
Not wanting to downplay the other award recipients, I would like to recognize them now.
- Outstanding Business or Foundation in Philanthropy
- Outstanding Small Business in Philanthropy
- Outstanding Volunteer in Philanthropy
- Outstanding Individual or Family of Philanthropy
Jack and Carol Wilbur
- Outstanding You or Youth Group in Philanthropy
Rebekah and Victoriah Haakenson
- Outstanding Professional in Philanthropy
Megan Reibe, CFRE
- Eugene R. Wilson Liftetime Achievement Award:
Gov. William Sheffield